Norwegian arts festival, TOpublic, aims to test the production, programming and transmission of contemporary art to a young audience in non-traditional ways; showing engaging art that raises ethical, artistic and social borderlines.
They invited PRAKSIS Director, Nicholas John Jones, to select a reading list of approximately 10 books, articles or links relevant to the theme of Politics in Aesthetics. You can read the list on TOpublic's website here.
- Gaston Bachelard, Water and Dreams: An Essay on the Imagination of Matter, 1942, Dallas Inst Humanities & Culture; 3rd edition (March 15, 1999)
- Jun'ichirō Tanizaki, In Praise of Shadows, 1933, Leete's Island Books; First Edition edition (December 1, 1977)
- Guy Debourd, Society of the Spectacle, 1967, Black & Red (June 1, 2000)
- Marcia Mueller Eaton, Merit, Aesthetic and Ethical, 2001, Oxford University Press; 1 edition (January 4, 2001)
- Dave Hickey, Air Guitar, 1997, Art Issues Press; 1st edition (August 2, 1997)
- Nicolas Bourriaud, Relational Aesthetics, 1998, Les Presse Du Reel,Franc; Les Presses Du Reel edition (January 1, 1998)
- Claire Bishop, Artificial Hells: Participatory Art and the Politics of Spectatorship, 2012, Verso; Original edition (July 24, 2012)
- Anne Eaton, "Robust Immoralism", 2012, The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, Summer 2012, Volume 70, Issue 3
- Richard Sennett, The Craftsman, 2009, Penguin; edition (2009-02-05)
- Omar Kholeif (Editor), You are Here: Art After the Internet, 2013, Cornerhouse Publications (December 12, 2013)
- Edward A. Shanken (Editor), Systems, 2015, The MIT Press (March 13, 2015)
- Hito Steyerl, The Wretched of the Screen, 2012, Sternberg Press; edition (2012-09-01)